Saturday, 12 January 2013

Wii U

I'm now back at work after our week off, which flew by way too fast. On the last day of the break a few of us went round a mate's house, drank wine and played Wii U. It's only just been released but this guy's girlfriend had already bought one, and it's a lot of fun. We played a game called Nintendo Land, which is a collection of Nintendo-themed minigames. The Wii U has a special controller, which is basically a handheld screen, and one player can use this while the other players use standard Wii controllers. This allows for games such as Luigi's Ghost Mansion on Nintendo Land: the player with the screen is a ghost and can see everything on the screen. The other players are armed with only a torch and don't know where the ghost is but have to avoid being captured. They can only see him if they shine their torch on him, often when it's already too late. Mario Chase is a lot of fun as well. 

The Wii U is so far removed from the consoles I grew up playing, but Nintendo still rely on all the old franchises I know, so the Wii U still has that Nintendo magic. If it had come out a few years ago I probably would have been all over it, but I barely even realised it had been released. Nintendo and video games was a big part of my growing up, and probably the main reason I came to Japan, but these days I don't pay any attention to it.

Now that I'm back at work I've started my almost daily visits to McDonald's. I'm still a big fan of the 'Chicken Crisp'. I buy three, which comes to 300 yen, and it makes for a cheap, filling meal. Ironically, when we got our wages on Thursday there was a 500 yen McDonald's gift card in the pay packet as our 'New Year bonus'.


At lunchtime McDonald's have recently started doing this thing where if you don't receive your order in under 60 seconds you get a free item from the menu. They even get an hourglass out and set if off to prove it. Most McDonald's here always seem really busy, but apparently profits have been falling, so I guess they've always got to think of new ways to attract customers.

Speaking of fast food, after work on Tuesday a friend took me to a pizza place in Shinsaibashi. It's called I Love Pizza and everything is 500 yen. Unless you go to Shakey's, pizza in this country is ridiculously expensive, so 500 yen is pretty decent. And the pizza at I Love Pizza isn't crappy Japanese-style stuff either - it actually looks and tastes like it was made in a traditional pizza oven (I forgot to check whether it actually is). The interior is kinda ghetto, as the seats are made from beer kegs, and it's kinda cramped inside. I had the four cheese pizza and it was OK - it had some kind of sweet syrup on, which I wasn't a fan of - but I'd definitely go back and try again. The size of the pizza is small but so is the price, and there's gotta be something else on the menu that would suit me.

I've been studying Spanish a lot in my spare time lately, and I've been planning for Chile and a short stay in California as well. The date for my first orientation in Chile has just been announced (March 2nd), so it's not long till I go now. Need to book my flights soon. Might do that this weekend. We have Monday off, so it's another long weekend.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z