Friday, 18 November 2011

Another very busy week

On Monday I went to film my TV news piece which will be assessed and make up a large part of my mark for the semester.  There was something called the Celebration of Sport service at the Cathedral and I'd decided to film this for the assessment.  I went along and set up the camera, and while it was tough shooting in the darkness of the cathedral I think I got some good footage.  I also got an interview with Howard Webb and Alan Smith.

On Tuesday we heard about how the system for getting a placement next semester works.  We'll all be working in media organisations for 3 weeks, so we're to start thinking about where we might want to go.  I think I'm gonna go for local BBC radio.

Then in the evening, as my friend from Pizza Hut was in it, I went to see a production of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast at the Rotherham Civic.  It was really professionally put on and quite good actually.

On Wednesday I had an assessed interview at 9am.  I was given a scenario and I had to interview my lecturer as if he was a policeman explaining a crime story to me.  It went well.

In the afternoon I visited Barnsley for the first time with one of my coursemates to look for stories.  Getting off the train Barnsley looked fairly drab, but we walked towards the old town hall and it got nicer as we went on.  It was pretty easy to find ideas for stories, such as the town hall being turned into a museum and a new exhibition at the gallery.  I'll be following these stories up soon.

On Thursday we had an all-day writing for TV workshop.  We were given a BBC news story with all the audio taken out and a summary of the story.  We then had to write words to fit the images we were seeing on screen.  It's harder than you might think, but the teacher said mine was excellent.  I'm used to writing simple, to-the-point stuff, partly through writing this blog, so I found it fairly easy.

This morning I interviewed Barnsley poet, Ian McMillan - another story for my patch. I'd only heard of Ian McMillan recently through a programme called Fry's Planet Word.  Ian appeared on that show and gave his thoughts on the various Yorkshire accents, and I thought he'd be a great person to interview for my patch as he's from Barnsley.  His publisher sent me a couple of his new books to read, and we arranged to meet up at the Showroom theatre.  They kindly lent us the use of one of their screens so we could record without background noise, and we talked about his books and some more general thoughts on Yorkshire.  I also got him to do a performance of various Northern accents, similar to that which he did on Fry's Planet Word, but the Marantz recorder didn't record all of that section, so I can't really use it.  But I think the interview turned out really well overall.  It was around 20 minutes and I'm going to edit it down to three and submit it.  I'll probably submit it to a local radio station as well.  You can hear the whole unedited thing here and here.

I pre-recorded my show for Forge Radio this afternoon and now I'm done until Pizza Hut tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z