Saturday, 5 February 2011

Vinyl dump

So I received my latest stack of vinyl yesterday evening. What tends to happen is I'll order various vinyl over a period of time on eBay, then the postman will try to deliver them one by one over the course of a week. He'll do this during the daytime while I'm at work, which means I'm not in to collect them. So I'll amass a letterbox full of undelivered item slips which I'll reply to, meaning I get a big dump of vinyl all in one go. By this time I've forgotten what vinyl I actually ordered, so it's always a surprise opening up the packages to see what albums my past self has sent along for future Joe.


Bonus Fat is an short album from back when Descendents were called The Descendents - 1985. It throws together various tracks from the years of 1979 and 1981, and the difference in the band's sound between these two years is very apparent. The noisy hardcore of Side A shows signs of the band that would go on to write pop punk classics like Milo Goes To College, while Side B is the band's first release from back when they were more of a new wave/surf band. The only thing on Side B that sounds anything like the rest of the band's output is Bill Stevenson's drumming. But this is a fun release, as it shows how much the band changed their sound between '79 and '81.

Next is something I've been looking for for a while now, the soundtrack to National Lampoon's Vacation.


The Star Wars-rip off album art on the front is a sight to behold, and then there's some great design on the back cover as well.



Much like the Goonies soundtrack which I got hold of, this vinyl looks like it was a promotional copy. It reads "Lent for Promotional Use Only. Any Sale or Unauthorized Transfer is Prohibited and Void. Subject to Return Upon Demand by Owner. Acceptance of This Record Constitues Agreement to the Above." The capitalisation of most of the words there is kind of odd.

Then lastly, we have the soundtrack to Rocky IV. I've been looking for this one for a while, ever since my brother played me "Training Montage" by Vince DiCola. Synth rock at its finest. DiCola also wrote the music for The Transformers: The Movie which was actually the best thing about that film, so he's a legend in my book.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z