Saturday, 1 January 2011

New place

So six days ago I moved house. I'd been wanting to move for a while as the last apartment was generally a terrible place to live. It was small and old, but my new place is a lot bigger and newer and I'm enjoying it a lot. The city hall put up a bit of a fuss about me moving, but, as a JET, if you want to move you're well within your rights to do so. The old place was good location-wise, as it was very close to the city hall, so I didn't have far to walk to work every morning. And while the new apartment is about 10 minutes down the road, it's still within easy walking distance of the city hall. It's also closer to the local コンビニ (convenience store).

I was planning to travel to Kansai to see some friends and spend New Year's in Osaka or Kobe, but the apartment move was decided at the last minute and disrupted any travel plans. I've had a great time in Aomori City though, being one of the few JETs to stay here over the break. It's been much better than the Christmas and New Year's I spent in Kobe two years ago. This year a couple of friends and I ate a big Christmas dinner at the local Tony Roma's, went to karaoke, then walked around the streets of Aomori singing more Christmas songs. The Aomori snow also added to the Christmas vibe. Then last night we went to an izakaya and to the local temple for New Year's Eve.

The winter break began on the 29th and it lasts until the 4th. It's the first extended break since I came in August, and it's useful as it'll give me time to unpack all my stuff, which is currently in boxes.

I recently received a couple of DVDs of my appearances on local TV, so I'll put them online at some point. I'm also gonna be appearing on the local radio station a couple of times this month. I don't know the details yet, but it'll be on a show about foreign cultures and travel, and I reckon I should be able to get a copy of that as well.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z