Monday, 17 January 2011

Goody Goody

I recently came across an ace vintage clothes shop in Aomori called Goody Goody. It's located in 新町 and I went in for the first time last week.

From the outside the place looks like a typical vintage shop; you'll find a lot of them in Japan, even more than back home, but the stock is usually fairly limited and the prices are often fairly high. There are even places which try to look like vintage shops but actually sell mainly new items. But Goody Goody is better than your average vintage shop. It has a strong 1950s American vibe - there's rock and roll playing on the speakers, old toys and decorations litter the walls and shelves and the stock is mostly 50s and 60s items. There were a few new items tucked in among the real vintage stuff, but the shop more than made up for it with a shelf full of obscure rock and roll compilation CDs for sale. Granted, LPs would have been even better, but the owner obviously likes this era and knows his stuff.

There was one guy behind the counter when I went in, and it seems he runs the place on his own. When I entered I wasn't greeted with the usual "いらっしゃいませ", as is customary in Japanese shops, but after speaking to the guy later I realised he was fairly shy. And there's also the fact that I'm a foreigner, so he probably just thought it best to keep quiet. After buying a shirt and a jacket I had a bit of a chat with him. At first he seemed apprehensive, asking if I could speak Japanese, and then when I explained I worked at the city hall he said he recognised me from the TV and radio. We talked a bit about the rockabilly scene in the UK, and I asked him if he'd been abroad, as he was obviously interested in foreign culture. He told me he wanted to, but couldn't speak English at all. I asked him where he got all his clothes and toys and ornaments from, and he said from a wholesaler in Tokyo, then he gave me his retro-style business card.

It's great to come across shops like this in Japan. When Japanese people go for a theme, they really go for it, even if, like this guy, they've never actually been to the country they seem to be in love with. But Goody Goody is still a great shop. While there isn't racks and racks of clothes, the stuff on offer is high quality, mostly actual vintage and the prices are reasonable. The guy obviously knows his stuff, as he told me a bit about the jacket as I was buying it. One of the benefits of not having piles of stock is that you know a bit more about each item it seems.

I'm sure I'll be going back at some point.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Hannah said...

joeeeeeeeeeeeee where is this goody goody-ness im intrigued......

25/01/2011, 02:34  
Blogger Jephso said...

http://tinyurl.com/4trdy6x

Check out that link, it's near the kencho. Go easy on the guy though, he seemed pretty nervous when I was in.

25/01/2011, 10:44  
Anonymous Hannah said...

sweet thanks a mil......ill kneel and hide my hair would that count as going easy???

27/01/2011, 04:00  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z