Thursday, 23 December 2010

Kuwahara KZ-01

I've been meaning to post these photos for a while. They're of my new Kuwahara KZ-01 BMX.

After coming to Japan and living in Aomori for a few weeks I decided I was gonna get a bike. Japan is fairly flat and well suited to bikes, meaning that a lot of people ride them here. But the vast majority of people ride ママチャリ (mama-chari, or mother's chariot) which are big boring bikes with a bell and basket on the front. I wanted something that looked a bit more exciting. I love old things, so searched for some old-school BMXs on Yahoo! Auctions, the Japanese eBay, but I never really found anything I wanted on there for the right price.

Then one day I noticed on the Kuwahara website that they were about to go into production of the KZ-01, a throwback to the KZ series of the 1980s. This was exactly what I wanted, and Kuwahara is a Japanese company, so being here I thought I should be able to get my hands on one pretty easily. Well, it took a bit of searching, as it seems this model has been really popular. I believe there has only been 300 made in this run, 100 of each colour - black, white and chrome. But I managed to find a place called candyrim in Osaka which was still taking orders and I put an order in for the white version.

Kuwahara were the company who made all the BMXs in that scene in E.T., and ever since seeing that I've wanted a BMX. And it's even better that I've been able to get a Kuwahara KZ-01, which is very close to the actual BMX used in E.T. - that model was called the E.T. model, ET-1 or KZ-2.5.

So the bike was delivered around the start of November and just sat in its box for a couple of weeks, but then I finally found some time to put it together.








It's a lot of fun to ride and really light. The snow in Aomori means no-one really rides too much in winter, but this bike is gonna get a lot of use once the snow clears up.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger anucha said...

WOW man! cool bike! i want one

10/05/2012, 12:03  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z