Friday, 15 October 2010

Vinyl off eBay

I recently received a load of parcels in the post, and 3 of them were vinyl which I'd bought on eBay. The first was a picture disc of a favourite album of mine - Hysteria by Def Leppard.


I heard Hysteria for the first time around a year ago. I found a copy in great condition for really cheap on a little market stall in Sheffield town centre. I'd heard a couple of Def Leppard's songs and knowing the band were from Sheffield I picked it up. I ended up listening to that vinyl probably more than any other in my collection. When I moved here it was one of the records I didn't bring with me, so when I picked it up this time I thought I'd go for the picture disc as I don't have any in my collection. With picture discs the visual factor comes at a cost of reduced sound quality, but it's a nice collector's piece and a good addition to my burgeoning shelf of records.


Next is a Spandau Ballet greatest hits LP, another record I owned before but didn't bring with me to Japan. Much like The Police, Spandau Ballet were a band I grew up listening to because of my dad. These guys are a little on the light side compared to a lot of what I listen to, but it's great music if you're in the right mood, and Tony Hadley is an amazing vocalist.


Next is another album I previously owned - The Goonies: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - but this version is, again, a little different as it's a promo version. On the back there's a gold stamp which reads "FOR PROMOTION ONLY, Ownership reserved by CBS, Sale Is Unlawful". Well, it's mine now.


This album was curated, I believe, by Cyndi Lauper, and it features her track "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough". Every track sounds totally 80s (check out "Eight Arms to Hold You" by Goon Squad) and it's a great accompaniment to one of the greatest films of all time.



The last version of this LP that I owned just had a simple paper sleeve, but this one has a great photo montage on both sides of the sleeve. Maybe because it's a promo version, or maybe because it's the US version.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z