Friday, 14 May 2010

Dissertation done and dusted

I handed in my dissertation earlier today and I'm pleased with how it turned out in the end. In fact, I enjoyed writing it for the most part. It was something I hadn't been looking forward to since starting this course four years ago, but after doing all the appropriate reading and research in the Easter break this year, actually writing it was a breeze. I wrote it on the dialect of the region where I went to study in Japan last year, and it was titled "The Kansai dialect: its place in Japan and as part of the curriculum for JFL learners". It's something I'm genuinely interested in, so it wasn't much of a chore and the words flowed pretty freely.

My year was the first in our department to write a 15,000 word dissertation, as previous years had written a 7,500 one, but they'd complained to the department that 7,500 wasn't enough space for a dissertation, which it isn't. And when they knocked dissertations up to 15,000 it meant we had to take one less class this year, which was great. I didn't reach the 15,000 mark, ending up close to 14,000, but I could have written far more if I'd needed to, and when you have to limit yourself rather than pushing yourself to fill the limit, you know you've done a good job. It all looked pretty sick when I'd printed it out and got it bound and I'm proud of it as a piece of work. We're all going out to celebrate at a sushi restaurant later this evening. Now I just have my presentation to do, the translation assignment and an exam and we're done.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Yiyuan said...

good luck with the rest work, big Joe!

19/05/2010, 08:44  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z