Sunday, 11 April 2010

"I'm Not Your Toy" by La Roux sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog



This song by La Roux came on at Pizza Hut the other day, and the first thing I thought was that the samples sounded like they'd come from the Sega Mega Drive, and more specifically, Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't know too much about La Roux, as she got popular in the UK while I was in Japan, but my dad's a big fan, and the first time he played me some of her tracks I immediately recognised the influence of chiptune/video game music. Granted, artists like La Roux also draw a lot of inspiration from synthpop, which has a lot in common with VGM sound-wise, but I do think we're starting to see VGM affect popular music quite a bit. In fact, there was some controversy a couple of years back when Timbaland sampled a track from a chiptune artist without permission for the Nelly Furtado album he was producing - the chiptune artist being Tempest, someone whose music I've played on my podcast before. If you look out for it, you'll start to notice the chiptune sound creeping into popular music more and more these days.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z