Saturday, 6 March 2010

The importance of artwork

Watching BBC Four's Hotel California: LA from the Byrds to the Eagles, there was a nice sound bite from Henry Diltz, the photographer who shot the cover of Crosby, Stills and Nash's self-titled first album. The quote struck me as it really illustrates the importance of an album's artwork, and also the fact that artwork was much more important back in the days of vinyl records. You wouldn't ever really hear someone say this about a CD, and much less about a digital download.

"People say 'I don't know how many hours I stared at that picture' ya know. I had a musician from England once told me, he said 'You know we used to sit there in England and look at that Crosby, Stills and Nash cover and say what is it like to be there in California? And just stare at that thing while the music played.'"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Z